Sunday, December 30, 2018

Self Care - We define it


Hello friends,

I wrote this sometime last year while I was on another candida cleanse. So as you can tell I was definitely in my feelings. I thought this was a good time to share it here as we go into 2019.

While I'm on this Candigone anti fungal cleanse it got me thinking about "self care." While self care is extremely important while on a cleanse it's also important to incorporate it into our every day life. I've been seeing quite a bit around the internet lately on what exactly self care is and  specifically this quote "self care isn't all lush baths and chocolate cake" is stuck in my head.
And I'll be damned.....
What gives someone else the right to define what self care is for ourselves? 
Self care is something so personal and only we can define what that looks like for us. When I was going through a really hard time a few years ago in a certain situation self care to me was taking a bus to the mall...walking around aimlessly, spending far too much money on lush bath stuff - I'm talking 300.00 worth of bath bombs people!! Taking long hot baths, tuning out from social media, indulging in way too much coffee and subway and lots and lots of sleep. Self care to me now is doggy cuddles, spending time doing my makeup and hair, diffusing essential oils, chats and outings with the bestie, chats with my husband, a long hot shower, choosing tea over coffee and cutting sugar from my diet.
Whatever you have to do to be OK is what you need to be doing this very moment. A close friend of mine chooses exercise, running, yoga and things of that nature for her self care. That's what relaxes her and helps her grow inside and out. My husbands idea of self care is going fishing. He looks forward to his fishing trips all year and he comes back feeling completely refreshed and rejuvenated! To each their own. Nobody can tell you what exactly self care should look like for you but yourself. And nobody should be making you feel selfish for your self care habits either.
I believe as long as we are not "self-harming" ourselves than self care is going to be tailored to our individual needs. The bottom line is we can not pour from an empty cup. We can not give what we do not have to give. Think about that!!  It doesn't matter if you are a mother of 10, a mother of two, a single lady-entrepreneur, a fur mom, this even goes for the men out there. Self care is an integral part to our emotional, spiritual, physical well being. All too often we get caught up in the busyness in life that we let ourselves fly by the wayside. There we are left to dangle in the wind, battered, bruised and weary. Since when did we all start to glorify "busy" anyways? Ugh...but that's another blog post for another day.
I remember when I did not feel worthy of self care. I was going through such a difficult period in my life. Stuck in a place of confusion and inner turmoil. Some days I wouldn't even leave my bed. At this point though, I didn't understand that all of the physical symptoms I was dealing with was candida and I didn't realize that my unhealthy emotional state was only adding fuel to the fire.  It's so important that if you are living with a chronic condition such as candida (or even if you are perfectly healthy) that you find the time to fit daily self care into your routine. Think to yourself - does it make you feel good to put on a good movie and tune the world out? Does it make you feel happy to get out in nature and go for a long walk? Does it make you feel happy to walk aimlessly around a record shop and find your next favorite band? Does it make you feel happy to cook an extravagant meal? Whatever it is please...fit that in! Not only can it help your recovery but it's just good for the soul. Don't let me tell you what self care is for you (although I hope I have provided some good ideas!) 
Just remember - that self care isn't a one time deal. It's a great preventative measure in our tool kit for survival and recovery. Don't let anyone tell you that it's selfish to take time out for YOU. The world will thank you. 
I found this picture via pinterest and I absolutely love it....self  care is absolutely taking your power back!Whatever that looks like for you, I hope you find it and do it as much as you can. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Repressed Emotions

Hello blog world... I seem to have tons of thoughts flowing through me at the moment and the best way I can get them out is to write! Hope...

Popular Posts